Today is one of those days when I don’t know what to wear but luckily I made a rule which is actually saving me: “don’t waste time, go for basics”. Each time I don’t know what to wear, I go back to my top 10 must have wardrobe essentials.
It might sound like a boring escape but it’s not boring at all. Clean outfits are never boring. Actually a minimalistic outfit can be more sometimes. A minimalistic outfit can be everything on those blue days. Who said that wearing a pair of black skinny jeans and an white oversized sweater is a boring combination? Nothing is boring as long you have a good attitude. The attitude is making an outfit and not inverse. But today we’re not here to talk about this…
Let me just tell you which are these 10 magical-basics must have wardrobe essentials every woman should have.
- The first on my list is obviously The Trench Coat.
If you watch the tv-show Supernatural, I know what you’re going to say next: that you’ll just end up looking like Castiel. Well, he’s quite hot but looking like him is not the goal. The founder of Burberry, Thomas Burberry, created the modern raincoat early in the twentieth century( pretty long time ago) after discovering a water-resistant fabric called gabardine.
A trench coat is a type of raincoat that was created by Burberry for officers of the British Royal Army during World War I but nowadays, thanks to Burberry, we all have the chance to wear it. It became a basic and a must-have item.
Just pop it up over almost anything! For example you can wear it with a dark floral dress and over the knee boots or simple with jeans and sneakers. It’s a versatile item, easy to mix and match and one of my favorite wardrobe essentials.
No worries, you can wear your trench coat anytime, not only when it’s raining!
For rainy days I recommend pairing it with rainy boots and a colorful umbrella.
2. Number two on my list: The Denim Jacket
Oversized or not, Levi’s or from another other brand, a denim jacket should be in your wardrobe. Why am I saying this? First of all it’s something easy to wear, something that’s not going out of style and, of course, it works for winter days but also for cold summer nights.
Denim on Denim look is one of the easiest ways to style a denim jacket but the list is endless. Mix and match with high heels or sneakers, dresses or pants, a shirt or a t-shirt. If you have one of those days when you don’t know what to wear, consider a pair of black pants, a white t-shirt, sneakers and your denim jacket. It’s sounds boring, but it saves you of staying waaay too long in front of your wardrobe. Why not to save precious time? Think less and an effortless outfit might be a bigger success in the end.
3. The Leather Jacket couldn’t miss from my wardrobe essentials This item is so playful and versatile, a bit edgy yet chic and easy to wear. It doesn’t matter if you go for a faux leather one or a real one, the effect will be the same. Wear it over something extra-feminine( like a silk dress) and otk boots. I always like to match something girly with something more edgy, a bit masculine. I feel like this will add a bit of taste to your look without screaming for attention.
Playing with textures is something we should all do. Thanks to the fashion and trends nowadays, we are “approved” to explore more. No boundaries. No limits. Endless options.
If this sounds a bit too much for you, then you should go for black pants, a white shirt and red booties. How cool sounds that?
4. The perfect pair of jeans. Those jeans you feel like you want to wear everyday. Those jeans you’d never let them go.
It doesn’t matter which style you opt for; skinny, bootcut, straight- find your perfect ones and stick to them. It’s important to have a perfect pair of jeans in your wardrobe. For sure one of our wardrobe essentials. It can be a $100 pair or a $1000. It’s all up to you and your budget. About styling jeans, there’s not much to say. You can pretty much pair them with anything. Definitely you’ll never hear someone saying jeans are out of trend. Never ever.
5. White T-Shirt– if you’ve been watching my Youtube Videos, you already know I own over 15 white t-Shirts. I know, I have a serious problem. But they are all so deferent! Some has warm tones, other cool tones, v-neck, boat neck, round neck, oversized or perfect tailored for my silhouette. It saves my day when I don’t know what to wear! If you don’t own at least one, it’s time to go to the closest H&M and grab one from the basic collection. Indeed, it is a basic, a wardrobe essential you must have.
6. A loose silk shirt is elegant and will help you look more put together when you’re not in the mood to dress up. An instant effortless chic look can be achieved by simply pairing your silk shirt with jeans and loafers.
What I like the most about loose shirts is that it helps when you feel bloated, hiding the shape of the body. I put it on my wardrobe essentials list since I was in highschool. First time I worn this item was to a class( black pants, oversized silk shirt and stilettos). I wish I would dress more elegant these days. I used to dress so office like when I was in highschool. haha
Or what do you say about taking out those leather pants on blue days? No matter what you option will be, the silk shirt will do its magic.
7. The Black Turtleneck- Here’s what happens when you wear a black turtleneck: you feel more confident. You embrace your curves. You feel elegant even thought you’re just wearing jeans and you feel connected to the past. Why am I saying this?
You are now part of a long lineage of female black-turtleneck wearers.
Audrey Hepburn, for sure she’s the first on the list.
But also: Joan Didion on a long reporting trip. Sharon Stone in her most stone-cold-killer years. Hillary Clinton in the dress that made America first take notice of her. Princess Diana with a fresh face and fresh dreams that she could change things. Gloria Steinem marching on. Brigitte Bardot with her plaintive, irresistible pout. Angela Davis holding court in a room full of rapt women. Francoise Hardy epitomizing impossible French cool. Marilyn Monroe reading Dostoevsky and desperately hoping the world would see her as more of a brain than a blonde.
The Black Turtleneck is more than just a clothing item, it is an icon.
8. The Perfect Blazer– perfect Tailored for you. All you have to do is to find a blazer you like and let your trusted tailor do the rest for you. It is pretty difficult to find a ready-to-wear blazer to match and if you want to add it on your wardrobe essentials, you have to make sure the shoulders aren’t too down and the arms too loose. Exception of this rule is the oversized blazer, where you can steal your boyfriend’s blazer without looking wired. Avoid matching an oversized blazer with boyfriend jeans. You can do this only if you’re tall and skinny. Well, you can wear anything if you’re tall and skinny. But I’m not sitting there so… I need my tailor!
You can go for a black, white or neutral. Something easy to mix and match. Something you can just put over a dress for a night out with your friends or you take it to the office. And, of course, something versatile. For example a pink blazer will never be versatile. It won’t be able to be taken to the office and your choices will be limited.
A black blazer is a basic clothing item as it’s really easy to wear and it can be an everyday option, no matter the season or the time of the day.
9. If you take a look in your closet, chances are you’ll find a black skirt. Whether it’s a maxi, a mini or anything in between, incorporating a black skirt into any fall look is easy to do, and the results are always polished.
A black skirt is versatile and you can dress it up or you can easily dress it down. A leather skirt can be a good investment as, a black skirt, it is one of the most needed wardrobe essentials. A black mini with a cozy sweater and flatforms, adding a turtleneck to a black midi skirt or adding a cropped denim jacket to an ankle-grazing black skirt. The choices are endless.
If you don’t like wearing skirts, you can replace a black skirt with black office pants. Don’t forget that quality fabric is one of the most important things. Black can look worn out, so an expensive looking fabric will give the skirt/trousers a posh vibe. When going classic and simple, it’s all about the details. For example a pair of great shoes, a great bag, a watch, just the right jewelry, red lips, perfect manicured nails, a messy bun, or ponytail – might just be enough to make a pair of black skirt/pants incredibly fabulous.
10. is the LBD (Little Black Dress). I guess it doesn’t need any additional description. We all know since we were kids that a lbd is a must have in our wardrobe. It’s the supreme item from our wardrobe essentials list. It’s been worn for decades and it’ll never go out.
When you ask fashion experts about one must-have closet staple for women, the answer is most often a little black dress.
There are a number of reasons why the LBD is considered such an important piece of clothing in your wardrobe and the key to understanding this lies in accepting its minimalism. Black is a statement that does not need to make a statement at all. The best designers in the world agree that true style lies in the form, and not in embellishments or garish trends. This is where black rules the roost. Its minimalism takes away everything that is unimportant, and channels your focus only on its crisp color, and pure aesthetic.
A quality little black dress symbolizes effortless elegance, simplicity, and style. It is an essential dress in every woman’s wardrobe because it is not only iconic but also versatile and timeless. Dress your LBD up or down using different accessories, shoes, and add-on clothing such as a denim shrug or blazer with ease and enjoy style flexibility you need in a pinch.
“Nothing is boring as long as you have a good attitude”
WATCH THIS for more ideas and inspiration: